The pomegranate has been mentioned in the Quran in three places:
It is HE Who sends down rain from the skies; with it WE produce vegetation of all kinds: from some WE produce green (crops), out of which WE produce grain, heaped up (at harvest); out of the date palm and its sheaths (or spathes) (come) clusters of dates hanging low and near: and (then there are) gardens of grapes, and olives, and pomegranates, each similar (in kind) yet different (in variety): when they begin to bear fruit, feast your eyes with the fruit and the ripeness thereof. Behold! In these things there are Signs for people who believe. (Al-Aníaam - 99)
It is HE Who produceth gardens, with trellises and without, and dates, and tilth with produce of all kinds, and olives and pomegranates, similar (in kind) and different (in variety): eat of their fruit in their season, but render the dues that are proper on the day that the harvest is gathered. But waste not by excess: for ALLAH loveth not the wasters. (Al-Aníaam - 141)
In them will be Fruits, and dates, and pomegranates: Then which of the favors of your Lord will you deny? (Ar-Rahman - 68-69).
Pomegranate is mentioned in following hadith:
Hazrat Anas bin Malik (Radiyallahu Anhu) narrated that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said,"There is not a pomegranate which does not have a pip from one of the pomegranates of the Garden (ofJannah) in it." [8, 12].
Hazrat Ali bin Abi Talib (Radiyallahu Anhu) narrated that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi Wassallam) said,"Pomegranate and its rind strengthen digestion (stomach)" .
History of pomegranate:
Pomegranates are natives of Iran and are found in countries like India, Afghanistan and Syria. Good quality pomegranates were grown in the hanging gardens of Babylon and also in ancient Egypt. Pomegranates were introduced into Spain after the Islamic influence reached there. They eventually made their way to England in the thirteenth century.
Later, Spain took the fruit to Mexico and Florida. Presently good quality pomegranate comes from Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Syria, Morocco, and Spain.
Medical Science review about Pomegranate Juice.
According to medical science, it is a good antioxidant, antibacterial and antimicrobial. It is used alternately to cure diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. It inhibits the formation of plaque on teeth. It aids in healing the periodontal procedures and reduce the signs of chronic peridontis.
Health Benefits of Pomegranate Juice/Pomegranates.
1. It helps fix bad vision and weak eyesight.
2. It helps treating bleeding piles. Boil the peel of sour variety of Pomegranate. Sweeten with sugar and drink in morning and evening.
3. Is a proven treatment for Diarrhea.
4. Treats digestive and kidney disorders.
5. Treats poor appetite.
6. Helps treat diminishing sexual power.
7. Cures an earache. Take 1 teaspoon of pomegranate juice and mix with honey. Warm the mixture and put the drops in the affected ear. The pain should disappear.
8. Help treat hoarseness in voice or loss of voice.
9. Cures intestinal worms. The root bark of pomegranate tree is highly toxic to the intestinal worms. Boil the bark of a two-inch long root in a cup of water. Half a cup of the decoction should be given three times a day at intervals of two hours to an adult. Two hours after the last dose he should be given castor oil to purge the system. The dose for children is 1/3 of the adult.
10. Heal's digestive disorders. Regular intake of pomegranate juice can treat poor appetite and digestive disorders.
11. Cures stomach ache.
12. Treats gum and teeth disorders.
13. Helps get rid of anal itching. Roast the skin of the pomegranate until it is dark brown and brittle. Crush the powder and mix with edible oil. Apply to the affected area.
And Allah knows best.
The benefits of this fruit are many. May Allah bless us all.