Tahajjud namaz is one of the non-obligatory prayers which one should pray in the later part of the night after getting some sleep. “And from [part of] the night, pray with it as additional [worship] for you; it is expected that your Lord will resurrect you to a praised station.” (Quran, 17: 79)
From the above-mentioned verse, we can conclude that tahajjud namaz which is performed during night time will result in finding a blessed rank on the Day of Judgment. And surely this prayer will be tahajjud namaz which offers in the later part of the night.
IMPORTANCE OF TAHAJJUD PRAYER
Tahajjud means to abandon sleep so that you can pray Salah. There are Numbers of Hadith and verses emphasize the significance of invoking Allah Almighty by solicitation and prayers in the darkest nights.
“The Lord descends every night to the lowest heaven when one-third of the night remains and says: ‘Who will call upon Me, that I may answer Him? Who will ask of Me, that I may give him? Who will seek My forgiveness that I may forgive him?’” (Bukhari, Muslim)
Abu Hurayra narrated that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, “The very best prayer after the compulsory prayers is the night time prayer.”(Muslim)
Tahajjud prayer usually is done by alone without together. Tahajjud prayer is not limited in number, but at least two Rakah. As Prophet Muhammad (SAW) explained that: “Evening prayer that two-two.” (Bukhari)
TIME OF TAHAJJUD PRAYER
Tahajjud prayer may be performed in the early part of the night, the middle part of the night, or the later part of the night, but after the obligatory Isha prayer. Tahajjud prayer can be performed whenever in the night unless the doer time for sleep. But the best time to perform is 1/3 of the night after waking up from sleep. Actually, the time to perform Tahajjud prayer is since the specified Isha until dawn (all night) after getting up from sleep. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) has told his followers:
Abu Muslim asked Abu Zhar: “Which late-night prayer is the best?” He said: “I asked the Messenger of Allah the same that you asked me and he said, ‘The (one done during) middle of the latter half of the night, and very few do it.’” (Ahmad)
It can’t be offered straight away after Isha, yet just after one`s rest, neither when the time is close to Fajr.
CONDITIONS OF OFFERING TAHAJJUD PRAYER
1) Make an intention of performing Tahajjud prayer and rearrange to wake up finally a piece of the night.
2) Make sure to perform Wudu as one should perform before every tahajjud namaz.
3) Move to a clean and quiet place in the house being away from distractions.
4) Offer at least two Raka`ts up to 12, depending on one`s willpower.
5) Don’t forget to supplicate to Allah SWT for one`s just and rightful requests in order to get benefited from this exceedingly rewarding hour of darkness.
BENEFITS OF TAHAJJUD PRAYER
Following benefits one could get by offering Tahajjud prayer:
1) It gives inner strength
2) It gives mental toughness
3) Seek forgiveness and surely Allah will listen
4) The doors of Mercy and Forgiveness are open during the last 1/3 of night
5) If someone wishes his/her Dua to be accepted this is the best time to ask
6) Huge incentive for the believer to wake up when everyone else is asleep and remember Allah (SWT) alone
7) Tahajjud prayer can strengthen religious understanding
8) It can bring fresh inspiration and innovation
9) Tahajjud prayer can delete wickedness and prevent act of sin
10) Tahajjud prayer can strengthen the memory
Tahajjud prayer is one of the best among non-obligatory prayers, it is the cause of getting Allah`s great Blessings and Mercy. As stated in Hadith
“The Messenger of Allah ordered us to pray during the night, a little or a lot, and to make the last of the Prayer the Witar Prayer.” [At-Tabarani]
We all should make a practice to offer this tahajjud namaz so that we can come more and more close to Almighty Allah.
(source - quranreading.com)