Allah Almighty underlined in the Quran the attributes of those who deserve to be called true believers, as Allah says in Noble Quran: “The believers are only those who, when Allah is mentioned, their hearts become fearful, and when His verses are recited to them, it increases them in faith; and upon their Lord they rely. The ones who establish prayer, and from what We have provided them, they spend. Those are the believers, truly. For them are degrees (of high position) with their Lord and forgiveness and noble provision.” (Quran, 8:2-4)
QUALITIES OF TRUE BELIEVERS IN ISLAM
To become a Mumin or true believer we need to strive in keeping up with these distinctive qualities which we are going to discuss below in this article:
1) Believer Of Allah Almighty: A true believer or Mumin is such person who believes in Allah Almighty and declares no assistant with Him on everything. We have seen many people saying and believing in Allah Almighty fully yet whenever they are in trouble they seek help from others. This is, in fact, Shirk that people mostly used to do. A true believer or Mumin turns only to Allah Almighty for help and demands only from Him.
2) Remembrance Of Allah (SWT): Muslims always remember Allah Almighty in all his matters and most of the time. Hadith stated that: “Whoever sits and does not mention the Name of Allah (before he rises) will find it a cause of sorrow for Allah. Whoever lies down to sleep and does not mention the name of Allah before rising, will find it a cause of sorrow from Allah” (Abu Dawud). This Hadith gives us suggestion that recalling the name of The Greatest One should be our utmost priority with every passing moment of life if anyone of us wants to become Mumin a true believer.
3) Saying Salam: Salam not only represents saying Salaam to each other in normal life routine but, in fact, it is an indication towards a situation where an ignorant person tries to have a dispute with other Mumin over any matter. The Mumin instead of showing anger or arguing with him/her, say salaam and move forward. Therefore, it clearly shows that such persons don’t indulge themselves in worthless discussions.
4) Being Truthful: One of the foremost attributes that are stressed by our religion Islam for gaining the much-needed beautification of one`s personality is adopting the truth and is expected as must do act for every Muslim or true believer. In Holy Quran, Allah Almighty said: “O you, who have believed, fear Allah and be with those who are true” (Quran, 9: 119).
5) Avoid Shirk: True believers of Allah Almighty abstain from Shirk. It is the subject matter of Islam and if one can’t follow that he or she shall not be called a Muslim. Allah Almighty will not forgive those who indulge in this act.
6) Avoid lying and Fraud: True believers of Allah Almighty avoid lying and fraud and don’t go near the evil or places where evil exists. A Mumin doesn’t indulge in evil acts like fraud and lying. These are the acts that Allah (SWT) disliked and Muslims must try to avoid these things for the sake of Allah Almighty.
7) Noble and Generous: Believers of Allah (SWT) are very noble and generous that if they ever pass by evil gatherings, they just seek their Lord’s refuge and move on. They pray for them to be shown guidance by Allah Almighty.
8) Role of Simplicity: One of the finest qualities of a true believer is living a simple life. The Quranic teachings emphasize simplicity by associating it with the moral behavior of Muslims in daily life. Allah Almighty says in Holy Quran: “And do not turn your cheek [in contempt] toward people and do not walk through the earth exultantly. Indeed, Allah does not like everyone self-deluded and boastful.” (Quran, 31: 18)
9) Strictly Guard their Obligatory Prayers: A true believer does not only observe the five daily prayers but also perform other Nafl prayers standing in the middle of the night. So a Mumin never misses his/her prayer and strictly guard obligatory prayers with optional prayers. In Holy Quran, Allah Almighty says: “Verily, the prayer is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours.” (Quran, 4:103)
The above mentioned were some of the major qualities of true believers in Islam. May Allah Almighty make us all follow such straight path and make each of us a true believer or Mumin having these qualities! Ameen