On the day of Resurrection, a good character and attitude will weigh most heavily in the balance of deeds. The best of the people will be the ones with the best attitude and they will be seated closest to the Messenger of Allah(peace be upon him) on the Day of Resurrection.
It was narrated by at-Tirmidhi (2018) – who classed it as hasan – from Jaabir that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Among the dearest of you to me and those who will be seated closest to me on the Day of Resurrection are those of you who are best in attitude.”
Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh at-Tirmidhi.
Al-Bukhaari (6035) and Muslim (2321) narrated from ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Amr from the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) that he said: “The best of you are the best of you in attitude.”
This is an encouragement for a Muslim to have a good attitude and also highlights the virtues of them and the person who possesses them. As it is the character of Prophets of Allah.
Al-Hasan al-Basri said:
The definition of a good attitude is doing acts of kindness, refraining from causing harm, and having a cheerful countenance.
Al-Qaadi ‘Iyaad said: It means mixing with people with a kind and cheerful attitude, and being friendly and compassionate towards them, putting up with them, showing forbearance and patience towards them at times of hardship, refraining from being arrogant towards them or mistreating them, and avoiding being harsh and angry with them or being critical towards them.
It is possible to improve one’s attitude and refine it, by doing the following:
1. A believer must know and understand the virtues of having a good attitude and behavior.
2. A believer must know the consequences of good and bad behaviors, both.
3. Knowing that Allah is watching Allah and knows one's intentions. Knowing that bad behavior and attitude can be detrimental for hereafter
4. Studying the good behavior and practicing it.
5. Read the biographies of earlier generations and of course Prophet Muhammad(peace be upon him).
6. Avoiding getting angry, striving to attain patience, and training oneself to be deliberate and not hasty.
7. Sitting with the people of good behavior and righteousness.
8. Avoid bad company.
9. Be God-conscious. Remember Allah is watching you.
10. Training oneself sincerely to develop a good habit. Fake it till you make it.
11. Be consistent in your endeavors.
12. Be patient, you cant achieve it all in a day. Don't be hard on yourself. Give it time and effort and then see the result.
Finally: you should call upon Allah, may He be exalted, and ask Him to make your attitude good and help you to attain that. One of the supplications of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) was: “O Allah, You have made my outward appearance good, so make my attitude good.” Narrated by Ahmad (24392); classed as saheeh by the commentators on al-Musnad. Also classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami‘ (1307).
If however, a Muslim slips and behaves badly then he must hasten to apologize and repent from it, and he should resolve to improve his attitude.
When you strive to improve your attitude, Allah too will help you and make it easier for you. You can be more obedient to the command of Allah, follow the sunnah of Rasool Allah(peace be upon him). All that must be done with sincere intention to improve and not to gain the praises of other people.
And Allah knows best.
May Allah help us all in being the believers of best qualities and character. May He raise our status so high in the Jannat ul Firdous that we are seated next to Prophet Muhammad(peace be upon him).