“The reason for every loss, misfortune, and evil in this world and the hereafter is sin and opposing the Laws and Commands of Allah Ta’ala. Moreover, sin destroys bounties and blessings as fire burns wood.”
Thus, We can say that every harm is a result of the sin. Every vice that we commit, impacts our lives and is the result of our sins.
We know that the habit of masturbation is a sin. It is forbidden and leads to various social, psychological, physical and most important spiritual issues.
In the hope that some our brothers and sisters will take heed and stop this habit We will divide and discuss the harms caused by this evil act as follows:
1. Spiritual Harms:
The spiritual harms include the effects of the sin on one's faith and religion. Some of the ill effects include:
● A decrease in Taufiq(success granted by Allah).
● Corrupt and evil ideas. Aversion and hard-heartedness towards people.
● A person becomes gloomy and depressed. He loses his cheerfulness.
● A person may be deprived of knowledge as well.
● It becomes difficult to remain steadfast on Deen. His nafs will get better off him. Shytan will make him follow his lust for more evil and hence a person will not feel good about religion and try to avoid anything good.
● As long as the person is trapped in this evil, he will lose his friends and will hate the good company. Thus falling into more depression and loneliness.
● A person is deprived of good adhkar. I.e. Tahajjud, fasting, Recitation of Quran, Salah etc. How many of our youth have lost interest in religious activities? How many of our young brothers and sisters are deprived of various good deeds (like tahajjud, salah and Quran recitation)?
● A person becomes weak and submits to the whispers of Shaytaan and his low self-instructs him to do more evil until evil us all that he does!
● He will have no strength to oppose his desires and lust. His nafs will order him and he will carry on.
Hasan Basri (Rahmatullahi alaihi) has said: “A person deprives himself of performing Tahajjud by committing sins.”
2. Physical Harms
Some may have exaggerated its effects but indulging in evil comes with a price.
Medical science has proven various ill effects of Masturbation and has termed it as the cause of a number of diseases. Many of our brothers and sisters are already aware of these harms. Some among us may be facing some of those issues and can testify as well. Among the physical issues are:
● Sexual organs are weakened and a partial looseness is created in it.
● The nerves are generally weakened as the result of exertion caused by Masturbation.
● It affects the growth of the limbs especially the outer part of the urethra (duct through which urine is discharged from the bladder and the testicles). Hence it does not reach the limit of its normal growth.
● In men, it creates seminal inflammation in testicles which causes quick ejaculation of sperm.
● It causes lower back pain, spinal cord, and vertebral column pain. The pain may cause crookedness and twist in back.
● It causes legs to shiver.
● Cerebral glands of the brain are weakened. The power of perception and reason is weakened.
●It leads to weakness of memory.
● Eyesight gets weakened.
● It causes premature aging.
● The very delicate and fine nerves and veins of sexual organs are very delicate, they become weak and hence results in sexual impotency.
● It results in excessive wet dreams.
● It reduces the natural resistance of the body.
● It causes harm to the four principal organs in the body viz, the heart, brain, liver, and stomach.
● It causes excessive loss of blood. It takes 80 drops of blood to produce one drop of sperm
● It weakens the bladder.
3. Psychological and social Harms.
● The psychologists say: “Here the awareness of a misdeed and the feeling of a sin occurs to those youth who practice this vile act in such a way that within themselves there is a struggle between the desire to practice this vile act and the remorseful feeling of a sin.”
● The excessive practice of this evil results in cowardice and nervousness.
● A person is left with low self-esteem and no confidence.
● It leads overwhelming urge to be isolated and decreases the urge to do any useful work.
● Excessive practice leads to addiction and attachment. A person does it as a habit to attain and satisfy his carnal appetite and -desire. Ibn Qayyim (Rahmatullahi alaihi) has said:
“Many sinners sin without deriving any pleasure and urge except that they experience pain in quitting it.”
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, its time to introspect and stop this evil practice and repent sincerely.
May Allah heal us.